Tuesday, February 2, 2021

OMG - February Goals


 Building on a successful January, I'm ready to get going in February. This month, my plan is to complete the Dogwood Table Runner.


Back in 2014, in an effort to finish in time for our guild's show (a deadline I completely missed) I completed the quilting on the dogwood flowers and petals and then set this aside. In 2019 I intended to get back to work on it before our house started falling apart and I had to move in to my quilt space which blocked access to machines, supplies, etc. I did a lot of knitting and cross stitch in 2019 and 2020 instead. 


I started this quilt at Thimble Pleasures, now sadly closed, in a class taught by Annette Ornelas (Southwind Quilts) in June 2013. The pattern is Carolina Dogwoods.


This week, I started pulling out threads, and surprisingly, the brown was the best match to blend in with the fabric on the sashing and back of the quilt.


I knew I wanted to quilt a dogwood motif, and sometime in 2014 I searched out a drawing on the internet. I enlarged it in several sizes and thankfully tucked the pages away with the quilt as I have gone through several computers since then and I doubt I would find this again.


I tried my hand at drawing the flowers, and decided that was not going to work. So I pulled out my roll of Golden Threads Paper and attached a stack behind the design. I then turned to Bernadette and unthreaded her so that I could punch the design in the paper. I have used this in the past and made the mistake of making really small stitches, which made it a bit harder to remove all the paper. I'm hopeful that I do better this time around.


Last night, I pinned the pattern to the quilt. As I would like to send this off in time for Valentine's Day, I am hoping to spend this weekend finishing the quilting and finally cross this off my UFO list.

Linking to February One Monthly Goal

2 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Lovely dogwood flowers, pieced and quilted! Enjoy quilting your pretty table runner!

Kathryn T said...

Wow very pretty and good luck with the quilting and finishing. Kathryn Quilts