Saturday, January 23, 2021

RSC21 - Think Pink Take 3

 


In this weeks edition, I sorted my scraps a bit to determine which would work for strings and which for crumbs,  I'm planning to make a few smaller string and crumb blocks this week to go in the Xing box (I took a class with Bonnie Hunter last spring, weeks before the world shut down) and Xing will eventually be a scrappy story of quilts I have made. It won't be finished this year, or next...


Most months I'm planning to make at least one large string block for a future project so that I'll have a variety of colors once I'm ready to start. I'm not sure I love the amount of white in this and am considering cutting the wide strings and sewing them back narrower.


After I finished off the first for Blocks for my RSC project, I went back to the Random Number Generator and got two more numbers for this month. You can't see it under the fabric, but she has listed the number of pieces and number of fabrics for each block - which helped me last night as I was auditioning fabrics.


Ultimately for Block 31, I decided to use both sides of the self-dyed pink. The roses came off the leftovers from the Table Scraps Topper backing panel and the stars came out of my scrap box.


Block 59 has a fun fabric in it. Many years ago my father was trying to clear out their storage unit so we headed over to see what fabrics I might be able to use. Most were not suitable, but I came away with a few notables from the late 60s/early 70s when Mom was sewing many of our clothes. This particular one will be seen in future months as there is a wide variety of flowers. I'm not sure why Mom abandoned the skirt she was making - it was partially complete. And it will be enjoyed in a different manner now.

There will be much cutting and trimming of blocks this weekend.  I decided to use Gus's Camo Quilt (Pecking Order) as my leader ender project. I've run out of the background block (but not the fabric) so I need to cut more squares. And as it turns out, I need to trim the existing ones because somehow I cut them 5.5 by 5.25... so fun times ahead. I'll turn on the music, wear my elbow brace and square up blocks before returning to the pink pile. I'm also planning to finish sewing on the border for the Woven Hearts Table Topper in the next day or so.

Linking to RSC21

4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Wow!! Progress on SEW many projects, Kirsten. LOVE the PINK for the RSC!!

Maggie said...

Those pinks will make beautiful string blovks.

scraphappy said...

Lot of great plans in the works. Sounds like you have plenty of great blocks in the works.

Kate said...

Love those florals in your RSC blocks! Very pretty.