Friday, January 29, 2021

January Table Scraps Challenge - PINK!

 


Challenge Accepted! Mission Accomplished! My friend Joy - The Joyful Quilter - issued a challenge concurrent to the Rainbow Scraps Challenge. Each month we are to use the RSC21 color of the month to create a Table Runner, Table Topper, or Mug Rug.

As I don't have a large collection of scraps due to doing more collecting than sewing in the past few years, I decided to use the Table Scraps Challenge to generate scraps that I can then use for RSC21. Pink is not a color I use often, so I have even fewer scraps.


I quickly decided on a woven hearts block. My mother is Danish and woven hearts are a common decoration at home.

After surveying my stash, I found a self-dyed fabric from a bee gathering (which I flipped over to use the back side), a roll of hand dyed fat eights in graduated colors of pink to red, a print fabric that my father bought for me in Portugal, and a length of red/pink floral tonal the I think came in a remnants lot that I bought off eBay when I first started quilting.





I spent two evenings adding the dreaded borders. I like Wonder Clips far better than pins to hold the pieces together, though I'm still getting coordinated removing them as I sew.


I basted the quilt using Pinmoors and spent some time figuring out a quilting design. I decided to try using a Hera tool to mark the quilt as I really don't like using marking pens and didn't have time last week to do a test wash of the marker I have on my fabrics. Overall, I like the idea of the Hera tool. I need to work on better lighting around Molly so that I can actually see the lines while I sew.



I'm definitely out of practice, so my quilting is a bit wonky. But it is done and I can live with that. Let's see how it washed up.


Next step was to make the binding.  I have a nearly pristine pressing pad for bindings by June Tailor in my tool stash. I mitered my strips together and it was back to Bernadette with a walking foot to apply the binding.

I consulted several experts to refresh my memory on how to do this.


After the binding was secured and mitered, I pressed it out and folded over, securing again with Wonder Clips.  The backing for the table runner predates my interest in quilting. I think I bought this panel (several yards of it) to use to cover a doorway, so it has been around for more than 15 years waiting for a purpose).



All done! Could be used from either side - a happy bonus. One small mishap along the way. My favorite jammie pants are now in an Oxyclean soak as I forgot to throw a color catcher in the wash. Some of the mottled solids are hand dyed, and they ran. Thankfully my jammies played the role of color catcher and saved the rest of the laundry from pinkness. Must remember this for future projects though as those pink scraps have been used in multiple blocks this month.


Happy Quilting! (Perhaps an inspiration for a future project)

Linking To:


8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is really pretty! I love the heart design, and the backing you had for the topper is perfect, too. This one could be reversible!

grammajudyb said...

A great table topper! Woven hearts are so pretty! And your backing fabric.....well done! Sorry about your Jammie Pants! Hope they are salvageable!

Ivani said...

You made 2 beautiful table toppers in just one.
Great work, Kristen!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for joining the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge, Kirsten!! Rusty? You did a marvelous job on that Woven Hearts table topper for your Mom! I'm particularly impressed with how you used some deep stash to make it reversible.

Karen's Korner said...

Two for the price of one....got to be happy with that. Very pretty - both sides.

Deb A said...

You did a great job on your table runner. Hearts are perfect in pink and the panel on the back is very nice as well.

Britt said...

Yay for finishing your cute table topper! I like the idea of a hera marker too, but struggle to see the lines.

Susie H said...

I love your Woven Hearts. First thing I thought was Scandinavian touch. I like how it links with your mother. Great job!