Monday, January 25, 2021

OMG January Check-in: I DID IT!


 Wahoo!  I pushed through and met my goal with a week to spare! Look at those beautiful borders!


The Marvel Lap Quilt has borders! At long last! Happy Dance!!!  Okay, for some this may seem a bit of an overreaction - but I REALLY dislike the process of sewing on borders. Too many opportunities for things to go wrong like:

  • Sewing it in the wrong direction (check - nothing like getting 2/3s done and figuring out that you've pinned it on upside down as evidenced by the mitered seam not facing up)
  • Measuring incorrectly (check - fortunately that was easily repaired)
  • Running out of bobbin thread (actually avoided this one)
  • Uneven seam allowance (by the 8th strip, that problem was solved)

But I soldiered on. Now the quilt goes in the pile of "to be quilted." I think I want to do a Baptist Fan motif across it, just need to decide on thread color, and how I want to mark it.


Between starting and stopping, I watched/listened to most of Thor, Thor the Dark World, and Thor Raganarok while preparing and stitching the borders.

Linking to January OMG Finish.

8 comments:

Marly said...

What a colourful quilt for a comic lover!

Marti said...

I was just about to say what Marly did. And I understand about the borders. I always dread that part.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your borders and marvel quilt is amazing! I sure get the procrastination part. . .hard, uncomfortable, unliked tasks are easy for me to delay. I too am doing the happy dance with you!

Ivani said...

It is a cool quilt. I understand what you feel about borders.
Congrats Kristen!

Danette said...

Such a fun quilt! I dislike borders, also. In fact, the last quilt that I added borders to, I had to rip out. The ripped out border is sitting un-ironed to be used as scraps and a new border has still not been added onto the quilt. Congratulations on your finish and thank you for stopping at my blog!

Sharon - IN said...

Congrats on your finish! What is a fun quilt with the Marvel comics print. Borders - seems they should go on in a snap. After all they are just long strips of fabric. But they always take a long time!

Helen Anne said...

Congratulations on finishing you top. Borders always take longer than I expect them to but I actually like being at that stage because it usually marks a milestone.

Patty said...

Happy dance! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!