Monday, January 3, 2022

 Yikes, it has been a year! Many changes and not much quilting during the latter half of the year.  I also got a bit overwhelmed blogging, so I'm changing my strategy this year. 

In March, we had a door malfunction - an easy fix - just had to pay someone to figure it out and reset the hinges.  From there... well let's just say I have a gorgeous new kitchen! (We have moved the refrigerator back from its three month home in the living room).

From June to September the house was in turmoil as we ripped out the lower cabinets, had the floors sanded and refinished, replaced almost all of the appliances, knocked a hole in the wall to expand our pantry, and removed the snack bar, replacing it with a tall pantry cabinet. I so blew my budget - but I had a completely unrealistic budget. The pantry cabinet (budget buster 1) is amazing and so much easier to organize and expanding the doorway for the pantry (budget buster 2) has made that space useable instead of a place to stash and never see things again. 


We paid some very talented people to do the bulk of the work - but I did spend time painting walls and finishing the wood countertops. My prime time for wall painting ended up between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m.

Also in June, Monkey was diagnosed with advanced kidney failure. For the next two months we nursed her and made numerous trips to the vet. I am now proficient in subQ IV's in canines. 

One of our last weekends with Miss Monkey, we travelled to Beaufort, NC to meet Sara Austin and her Salty Creek Cardigan Welsh Corgis. I am hoping to add a Cardigan puppy to our family in 2022.  Based on the need to be out of the house so that the floors could be finished, we headed to the Beaufort Hotel and managed to be there during the annual Pirate Weekend.  Monkey dined on poached eggs and filet mignon. One of the hardest parts of her illness was her complete lack of appetite. We celebrated days that she would actually eat something, anything. We said goodbye to our beloved shadow on August 20th.

Two days later, I ran into Debbie Cox, Triple H Corgis, at the Greensboro dog shows where I went to watch Sara show Cricket, Em, Cue and Pro (all of whom had an outstanding weekend).  I've known Debbie for over 16 years as we met when I was first researching Pembroke breeders. While catching up ringside, I mentioned that we had just said goodbye to Monkey, and were dogless for the first time in 16 years. Debbie asked if we would be interested in an adult as she had just taken back a retired show dog from a home that wasn't working out for her. After consulting with Mike, who REALLY wanted another Pembroke, we said yes.

On August 28th we welcomed Serendipity (CH Triple H A Perfect Jewell).

Sera has made herself at home and spent her first month getting to know us, while not putting a paw out of place. I was seriously questioning if I should have renamed her Mary Poppins as she was practically perfect in every way... that halo has since slipped, and you'll be happy to know that she is a relaxed, obnoxious princess. She and I are practicing to start competing in Rally Obedience this spring.

Our son Gus has been pleading for his own dog. So he and I headed to the shows in Raleigh over Labor Day weekend hoping to meet with some Australian Cattle Dog breeders. The original plan was for a summer 2022 puppy or young adult. Yet barely a month later, on September 19th, Sera, Gus and I took a road trip to South Carolina to bring home Abby (Star Ranch Downtown Abbey).


Yes, we are indeed insane. Abby is now 11 months old an a ball of energy. Sera, at age 6, is not sure what she approved (we brought her along to make sure the two of them got along). After 16 years of Corgis, having a tall dog with a tail is a definite change in pace for our household.

No comments: