Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Forward Progress!

 In order to not hijack myself and get sucked into the internet, I try to avoid my laptop on weekends. The downside is that is where it is easiest for me to blog. So, recognizing this, I'm going to try to be more proactive as far as writing. I've also ordered an external hard drive (long overdue) to store the quilt photos so that I can blog from my tablet on weekends if I decide to do so.

We have a very annoyed Cattle Dog in the house going through her first (and only) heat cycle. She has spent some time in the cave underneath my cutting table so that she is at least around people. However, this now means that I have to repair the dog bed that is in the cave as she got bored and chewed off a corner. Good thing I know someone who likes to sew and might have a length of thread to spare.

Over the last 10 days I've been rather productive! Most of all, I've been CONSISTENT in spending time on projects. I've touched seven different projects.

I like having things in different stages so that I can pick up a task where I feel like doing so.


Binding on my FMQA Sampler is DONE! I just need to photograph it. I've been brainstorming places I could use to hang quilts to photograph. There was a small piece of fence near our house that was perfect, until it got taken down last week. So on my to do list for this week is photography.


My FMQA Whole Cloth project is fully quilted with the hanging sleeve attached and about 1/4 of the binding done. A future post will be dedicated to this project. To do this week - finish the binding and photograph.


Fabric Face - self portrait is quilted with the hanging sleeve attached and waiting to be tacked down, the binding needs to be hand stitched. A post for this project is forthcoming.  On the list for next week is to finish the handwork (my fingers are getting sore - plus I like having a binding project available to do in front of the television).


Borders are beautifully mitered on the Sunflower Table Runner. In the theme of picking off the low hanging fruit, I jumped on this one as I was mitering the border onto the whole cloth. It will go back into the queue now as I have two quilts that have to been done before February 17th when I head to Florida. I haven't quite decided on the quilting plan for this one, so it needs to percolate a bit more - even though it would fit in as a Red Table Scrap project. But... I know my limits.


My biggest accomplishment over the weekend was forward progress on the two Star Bright quilts. I made the center strips for the backing of both quilts using bonus triangles. This was a huge mental block as I kept moaning internally about how much of a hassle pressing and trimming those blasted triangles were going to be, and would I have enough, and would this, and would that...  Turns out, zoom call with family is a great time to press and trim. By Friday night everything was ready to be stitched together.


By Monday night, Christopher's Orlando Magic version of Star Bright was sandwiched and partially quilted! I've finished a little over half the quilting on the blue start points and squares. This one is well on the way to completion and is one of my two that will be delivered when I see my nephews next month.


And last, but not least, I've selected the pattern and fabrics, and cut them, for a baby quilt for a co-worker who is expecting this spring.


1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Go, Kirsten, go!!! Look at you working toward a finishing streak!!