Saturday, May 21, 2011

FNSI Results


All 25 9 patch blocks have been completed now - and laid out in order.  The next step was to add sashing.  On Friday night I added the vertical sashing to 20 blocks (the last 5 to be attached on the other side of the sashing.

The blocks were stitched onto strips of sashing by column - but the next trick was to make sure that as I squared and trimmed blocks that I didn't lose the carefully chosen order (well maybe not that careful - but I did have certain ones I needed in each corner for symmetry). 

When I stitched the blocks to the sashing, they ended up in 5,4,3,2,1 order from top to bottom - so I put a pin in the top of each to represent column A,B,C,D or E and this morning started cutting and trimming blocks - the first off the bottom of each set and then stitched the blocks into rows.  To not lose track of the rows, I placed the 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 pins into the leftmost block. While this works for a small quilt, I don't think I'd want to do it with an 10 row quilt (too many pins).

I've pulled out the coordinating fabric for the cornerstones and outer border, so need to get back to cutting and stitching in hopes of getting the horizontal sashing strips ready to go.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

nice stack of blue and white nine patches you've got there! very crisp looking.