Friday, May 28, 2010

Introduction...

A few months ago, an online friend posted a picture of a rag quilt she just completed. The compulsive crafter in me said "hey, I could do that." Thus begins a delayed love affair with fabric. My husband and son are currently groaning over the added craft supplies which appear to be taking over our household - I am an avid scrapbooker, do some card making/stamping and have done counted cross stitch for over 30 years now. In addition to my craft activities - which do ebb and flow - my son plays Ice Hockey (thank goodness the spring season is now open), we have a garden plot to tend to in our community garden, and I am a leader in Gus's Cub Scout pack. Oh - and I work full time...

Never one to do things by halves, I started searching the internet for instructions to make a rag quilt. About.com is a wonderful source - http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/rag_quilt_basic.htm and this is where I started.

Then I went on to search for fabric - looking with specific themes in mind and finding a whole new world. There are a plethora of choices out there. Through the process, I discovered that we have a quilt store here in Chapel Hill - Thimble Pleasures . The ladies are delightful and extremely helpful.

And in the process of the start-up, I decided that if I was really going to do this, I need to do it right. Through a series of links and references I learned about the Quilter's Academy series of books by Harriet Hargrave and Carrie Hargrave. And inspired by a blogger in Australia - I too am going to attempt to work my way through the course(s). Lesley's work is amazing! I'll be taking it a little more slowly.

So - off to pick up my sewing machine and hopefully spend at least a part of this holiday weekend playing and learning.

No comments: