|The Gus approved layout|
|Partway - with my reverse order squares|
before figuring out I was pressing
everything in the same direction
|Monkey found a new way to|
be helpful. I think I like it better
when she just rests her head on
the cut fabric...
On Sunday Gus decided it was time for him to learn to sew - so together we made him a tuck-away tote bag. Several months ago he picked out a rose/skull fabric with a red contrast fabric. Later I found a FQ of white skulls on black. Thinking I'd be able to use my old machine, and so that I didn't have to rethread my Bernina and wind another bobbin, I got him set up. And I confirmed my wisdom in purchasing the Bernina. Both Gus and I fought the feed dogs on the Singer to sew a straight stitch. For the strap, I set up parallel tape guides which did help as that was a 120+ inch seam. We took turns, and there are several "imperfect" seams - but overall both Gus and I are pleased. I learned how to sew French Seams and really like the effect as these are unlined bags. He did protest me ripping out a few of his seams for him to redo - but not too loudly. On Tuesday, we went back to Thimble Pleasures so we could purchase the next set of fabrics - and webbing for the handle (my forefinger and thumb are still tingly and painful from turning a 120+ inch tube with a pair of tweezers - before I do one of those again, I'll get a tube turner - probably would have taken much less time too). This weekend, I'll let Gus use the Bernina. And I'll also keep an eye out for good sales on fabrics to make gifts that won't break the bank account.
I did notice something in the pictures, which I downloaded AFTER all of the columns were pieced. If you look carefully at the red dragons, there are several that have great swirls behind them. Unfortunately, I didn't space them apart, so they are a bit clustered together. The contrast didn't show up in the room lighting. Oh well. Now I know to check the pictures during the process.