Monday, May 30, 2022

May Wrap-Up

 Each month I plan to spread blog posts across the month, and more and more I find myself blogging at the start and end of the month. My quilting theme for May was borders. I am happy to say that I met my goals.

One Monthly Goal


My One Monthly Goal was to add the borders to Gus's Camo Quilt (Pecking Order - Missouri Quilt Company). As I create this blog, I see a pair of blocks turned, so it looks like I'll be doing a bit of surgery in the next month to repair that.


My quilt bee gathered in person for a sewing retreat earlier this month and I spent the day adding the borders to my Seminole Mountain (Smith Mountain Morning - Bonnie Hunter). As I was getting ready to apply one of the inner borders, I found a turned block while describing a potential quilting plan. Fortunately it was along the edge, so I got my steps in moving between the pressing table and my sewing machine. One the way home, I figured out why my border points were in danger of being cut off when binding is applied.

When I piece the border, I was careful to have the tips meet at the top, with a small seam allowance, forgetting that I needed to leave space for the binding.  So I spent an evening removing the outer border and another afternoon resewing the points. 

The adjusted borders are now on the quilt, and this one is moving into the queue for quilting later this summer.


 The Country Lanes Table Runner finally has borders in place. I ended up taking off the three rows on each end and adding squares of the background fabric. This was instead of having to cut across the horses that I so carefully placed along the edges. After watching videos on mitered borders several more times, I took the plunge and started sewing them on. Once on, there was an overhang where the triangles met the main length of the runner.  I centered the ruler at the tip and trimmed a slight angle of each side. Visually it looks as though the the borders are even all the way around.  I've got extra width, so I may eventually trim them a little more narrowly.

Table Scraps & PHD in 2022

Nothing to report this month as I don't have any finishes, just progress towards finishes in future months.

Rainbow Scrap Challenge



The color for May was Green - Forest & Sage. I chose the fabrics early in the month and then got distracted, so finally cut them last week and sewed the blocks together on Sunday.






I didn't create a penguin this month as I like doing two at a time, so I'll return to the penguins next month.

Corgi Report

We had a lot of rain in May, which resulted in lots of mud and not a lot of time at classes. 


In June we have a busy month planned.  Savvy will enter his first show on June 3rd in the 4 to under 6 month class. This is a class for experience (for he and I) with less pressure as there are no championship points on the line.  We have been attending handling classes so that he could interact with new people and be near other dogs. When we started this, he was convince the table was a giant pool of lava - in just three weeks he has become more relaxed and less suspicious.  I, however, am suspicious that he may be crossed with kangaroo - given how excitedly he hops when he sees new people.

Sera was extremely jealous each time I took Savvy out without her. We did attend two Rally Obedience classes. Sera continues to improve and had a lot of fun. Savvy is a goofball, but also improving. He is hitting his terrible teens, so I have to work harder to keep his attention.


It is getting hot in North Carolina, so I set up a pool for the puppies this weekend. So far Abby is having a grand time bouncing in and out. Savvy tends to be most curious about it in the evenings - oh so convenient to have a wet puppy right before bedtime. He is much less graceful entering and exiting.  Savvy is a veritable Houdini.  He led Sera out of the yard on a few adventures earlier this spring - happily moving immediately to the front porch.  We blocked that hole (or so we thought) and then he and Abby pulled down the aging lattice on the edge of the steps on Tuesday. By Saturday, he discovered that the wire we installed previously had a gap and so he expanded that gap and led Abby on a merry trip to the porch. On Sunday they upped their game and vanished twice - opening new points in the wire after each time I thought I had it blocked.  We've now nailed a piece of roofing tin to cover that gap. Apparently his entire litter are escape artists.

Linking to:


No comments: