Thursday, May 5, 2022

Motivated May - Goals for the Merry Month of May


 Last night, as I happily pressed borders on the Camo quilt, I felt a tug. Sure enough, world's cutest puppy had the corner of the quilt in the crate with him. A little fraying on one block, which is now a part of the seam allowance against the border, so no harm done. A good reminder to me that quilting with a Corgi puppy in the house means one has to maintain constant vigilance. He has become quite the expert at moving his crate out from under the table.

I shoved his crate back under the table (again) and swiffered the floor in front of his crate, then for good measure brought my saddle stool over to hold the bulk of the quilt while I measured, pressed, and pinned on the borders. Dash and Monkey were well past the puppy stage when I started quilting, so the worst I had to worry about was someone rolling on fabric. This little guy is still in the midst of teething. Plus, as I now work from home, he has a setup in my office/quilt cave directly under the cutting/pressing table. Sadly, my vision for setting up a pressing station in the corner has gone away as it appears my home office is home to stay.

One Monthly Goal for May and Projects Have Done 2022

I really like the progress I've made this year, and setting goals is part of my success. I've picked off the lowest hanging fruit and the hard deadlines, so now I'll continue work on some of the larger projects.


Last month, one of my goals was to finish all the blocks for Gus's Camo Quilt. I am happy to say that I met and surpassed that goal. I finished all the blocks and then some (I still have some leftovers - probably good in case someone grabs the corner of the quilt again). I pieced the center of Gus's bed quilt (Queen size) and also a quiltlet for Abby the Cattle Dog. 

My primary goal for this month is to get the borders onto the Camo Quilt. The inner border is on, so now I have to finish the outer border. Icing on top would be to also get the borders on the quiltlet for Abby as well as piece a denim back for it using old jeans. I have a camo back for the bed quilt. The quiltlet will be for use outside her crate as I have no illusions about her willingness to chew up fabric. The evidence already in place in the form of a few blankets and a favorite t-shirt that Gus left too close to her crate.

The theme for May is borders!  

After auditioning a few fabrics, I've decided to go with a simple black border on the Country Lanes Table Runner (Quilter's Academy Volume 1 project). I'm going to bind using the green paisley that is used in the rail fence and four patch blocks. Likely a simple solid backing. Would be great if I could finish this off. May is looking like a quiet month travel wise, so I should have plenty of weekend time.


My bee has a sew day coming up next weekend. An excellent time to finish the pieced border for Seminole Mountain and attach that to the quilt top. If all goes well, I will at least knock off tasks for three of my PhD projects.

Rainbow Scrap Challenge & Table Scraps

The color for the month is Forest & Sage Green. Last year I used a lot of really bright greens, so I've pulled several fabrics to work on my Modern Quilt Blocks again this month. Plus, I'll pull the fabrics to make a penguin or 2. Joy added the theme of Squares to Table Scraps, and these work wonderfully with the Country Lanes Runner (above) so more incentive to actually finish the runner and not just stop at adding the borders.

Corgi/Canine Goals

I've entered Sera and Savvy in a Rally trial in early June. Sera will have two opportunities to pick up her final Advanced leg. Savvy will make his debut and get some ring experience in Novice. He starts Rally class in two weeks. Abby is taking a session off as I'm getting overwhelmed. I'll continue with some in-house training for her to keep working on her reactivity to strange dogs.

Savvy and I are going to Pinehurst this weekend to cheer on his sister, Papaya, at her debut in conformation.

Linking to:

One Monthly Goal May  - Hosted by Elm Street Quilts

1 comment:

Sharon - IN said...

Sounds like doggy needs more chew toys! How fortunate the fraying was just in the seam allowance. Good save! I hope your goals go smoothly this month. Seminole Mountain looks bright and cheery.