Sunday, March 28, 2021

Going Green - Beachy Table Runner

 The Rainbow Scraps Challenge color for March was green. My first challenge was to figure out where a green table topper/table runner might be most appropriate.


Once I decided on a potential recipient, I knew I wanted to use the beachy fabric. While searching my stash I found the lighthouses, which inspired a different direction,


I reverse engineered a pattern based on a picture online, and decided on 1/2 inch sashing between blocks and a two inch random block border. Or mostly random. I dropped all of the squared in a paper bag and tried to pair them up at random, and then pair random pairs.


For backing, I found a dolphin batik that I featured in a quilt many years ago. Gus's elementary school mascot was the dolphins. I have yards and yards of it left.


My initial plan was to use the backing as binding. Sadly, I didn't do a good job securing the backing away from the ruler and I managed to slice several pieces while trimming the quilt. Rather than try to patch it, I switched gears.


Truth be told, I like the green binding better. At 5 p.m. I started hand sewing the binding to the back. Got more than half stitched down watching FSU get eliminated from the tournament. Finished the rest on a family zoom call tonight.


Quilting motifs include spirals, meandering, and continuous curves.


Linking to Table Scraps Challenge for March.

Lining to Scraphappy Saturday

3 comments:

Deb said...

Love the lighthouses! I too occasionally get a slice in a quilt top. And it is either fixed or changed. We definitely get creative in the repairs!
Stay safe and sew on !

Angela said...

Love the dolphins and lighthouses together. What a great combination.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Look at you go, Kirsten!! You did a lovely job with the quilting on this beachy runner. LOVE that hook motif within the orange peels! Thanks for linking up with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge and I look forward to seeing what you will make next month.